"When looking at a field of dandelions, you can either see one hundred weeds, or one hundred wishes!"

TedTalk: Can the damaged brain repair itself?

I chose this TedTalk because the message was one of hope for people who are living with neurological conditions and untreatable conditions of the brain. Because most neurological conditions are age-related and sort of new territory for our generation of medicine, there are mostly no effective interventions to the conditions at this time, so the hope was inspiring to me.

Description of Material:

The message challenges all logic and fact that has been taught in medical school for years, specifically the notion that the brain cannot self-repair. This message gives an innovative route for new therapies to emerge based on the idea that the brain can repair itself. With the research of stem cells regarding cases of multiple sclerosis, positive outcomes have been achieved through regenerative neurology.

How I furthered my learning:

I was shocked when the speaker threw out the number that 700 billion dollars were spent annually on people with neurological conditions. I was even more shocked to see that stem cells are being taken from bone marrow, and they are targeting endogenous stem cells that are found in both functioning and diseased brains alike, and they are waking up the brain cells so that they encourage protective myelination of the optic nerve. In the study, they found that the optic nerve of the research participants did stop shrinking after the stem cells were activated.

Reflection of learning/application in relation to course content:

Although we have not heard the lecture on multiple sclerosis yet, I believe that it was a nice precursor to the material. It actually made me really excited for the topic to come up in class. I believe that the application will be practical to me in real life as well as in the clinical aspect because my dad's brother has multiple sclerosis. One of the biggest issues for him is actually impairments to his vision, so it does give hope to me because I see that medical advances are being made for people who may be impaired in the same way that he is. I have always heard positive information about stem cells, but I have never been able to understand the neuroscience behind it in the way that I am after being exposed to neurobiology, as well as beginning neuro aspects.

Recommendation for others to watch material:

I would recommend this TedTalk if someone has an interest in MS. It was hard to follow at times because the speaker easily got off on tangents. It would have been nice if the topic was addressed more, just to gain a better understanding. Overall, it was a good presentation though, and a topic that I did not know much about.

Can the damaged brain repair itself? 

Chandran, S. (2013, July). Siddharthan Chandran: Can the damaged brain repair      itself? [Video file]. Retrieved from  https://www.ted.com/talks/siddharthan_chandran_can_the_damaged_brain_repair_itself







Link:
https://www.ted.com/talks/siddharthan_chandran_can_the_damaged_brain_repair_itself




Comments

Popular Posts